Someone dear to me is going through a tough breakup. Yea, I remember those well!! I made some super-decadent mac and cheese for him today. Sometimes you just need a big bowl of comfort.
1 box elbow macaroni (or pasta of choice); cooked in boiling salted water according to package directions
1 small onion; diced
2 cloves garlic; minced
3 Tablespoons margarine
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese; shredded
2 Tablespoons salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon nutmeg; ground
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 cup sour cream and onion potato chips; crushed
1/2 cup parmesan cheese; grated
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 13X9 inch baking pan with cooking spray
2. While pasta is cooking, saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add margarine and flour and stir, cooking until they turn golden and are a sandy consistency. Whisk in milk and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese and spices.
4. Drain pasta and pour into prepared pan. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir slightly.
5. Sprinkle top with chips and then parmesan cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes more until top is browned and cheese is bubbly.